I am quite possibly the world's worst blogger of all time ever. If you would like to see more recent images, please please please visit my Facebook page. Thank you wonderful people who have stopped to read this!!!!
Better late than never right…??
I am the absolute WORST at posting new blogs (I usually just post to Facebook
but I need to get better!!!)
So Valentine's Day was TEN WHOLE DAYS ago but let's go with FEBRUARY IS THE MONTH OF LOVE :) !! What makes you think of love?? Your spouse? Your children? Puppies and rainbows? Your grandma? A soldier returning home? What really gets your heart feeling all warm and fuzzy?
Being an artist, so many of these things ring true for me but I decided to go with this image for today. Brand new baby. Being there for some of the first moments that a new family member is introduced… it's magical for me.
And since Valentine's Day is all about love, I wanted to share a few other artists' links that I follow. Please take a minute to check out the amazing talent on these pages:
• Alicias – Alicia Staley Johnson – http://www.alicias.com/blog/
• Angee L Photography – Angela Lautenschlager – http://angeelphotography.smugmug.com/Blog
• Aurelie Noyer Photography – Aurelie Noyer – htttp://Aurelienoyer.wordpress.com
• Aynat Designs – Tanya Cremin – http://www.aynatdesigns.com.au
• Belle Images – Angela Skerman – http://belleimages.com.au/blog/
• Belle Meinerz – Bell Meinerz – www.bellemeinerz.com/blog
• Bellini Portraits – Stephanie Edrich Piscitelli – http://www.bellinipics.com/blog
• Deus Photography – Jane Hogan – http://deusphotography.com/blog/
• Dragonfly Portraits – Karen Ashcroft – www.dragonflyportraits.com.au
• Elena K Photography – Elena Kloppenburg – http://www.elenakphotographyblog.com
• Emma Hutchinson Photography – Emma Hutchinson – http://www.emmahutchphotography.com.au
• Essence Images – Jessica Franklin Chia – www.essenceimages.com.au
• Glee and Bliss – Corey Bennett Williams – Www.gleeandblissblog.com
• In Photography – Michelle Pragt – http://www.inphotography.com.au/blog/
• Itty Bitty Love Photography – Kim Patel – http://ittybittylovephotography.com.au/blog
• Jemm Photography – Tamara Messina – www.jemmphotography.com.au
• Jenny Watts Photography – Jenny Watts – http://www.jennywattsphotography.com
• Jody Ryan Photography – Jody Ryan – http://www.jodyryanphotographyblog.com
• Judy Hohmann – Judy Hohmann – https://judyhohmann.wordpress.com/
• Karen Menyhart Photography – Karen Gardner Menyhart – http://blog.karenmenyhartphotography.com/?p=705
• Kate Lionis Photography – Kate Lionis – http://www.katelionis.com/blog/
• Kate Nagle Photography – Kate Boyle Nagle – http://katenaglephoto.com/
• Katie Tyler Photography – Katie Tyler – http://katietylerphotos.com/wordpress/category/blog/
• Leslie Meadow – Leslie Huckey Sarten – http://lesliemeadow.com/blog-3/
• Light and Shade Photography – Felicity Peterson – http://www.lightandshadephotography.com.au/blog
• Lisa Phillipson Photography – Lisa Washburn Phillipson – http://www.lisaphillipson.com
• Little Cherub Photography – Susan Fong – www.littlecherubphotography.com
• Maria Z Photography – Maria Sze – http://www.mariazphotography.com/blog/
• Maternal Moments Photography – Rachell Marie – http://www.maternalmomentsphotography.com.au
• Michelle Frances Photography – Michelle Frances Deacon – http://michellefrances.co.nz/news-recent-work/
• Michelle Ridland Photography – Michelle Ridland – http://www.michelleridlandphotography.com.au/welcome-to-my-blog
• Morgan Henderson Photography – Morgan Henderson – http://www.morganhendersonphotography.com
• Mrs Smart Photography – Bronwyn Smart – Www.mrssmartphotography.com.au/blog
• My Baby Book – Martyna Ball – http://mybabybook.it/blog/
• Nancy Vaz Photography – Nancy Milkovich Vaz - www.nancyvazphotography.com/blog
• Natasha Haire Photography – Natasha Haire – http://natashairephotography.com/portrait-session-emily/
• Nina Tantzen Photography – Nina Tantzen – http://www.ninatantzen.com/blog
• Orange Moon Photography – Melinda Savageau – http://orangemoonphotography.com/
• Peas & Carrots Photography – Nikki Joyner – http://www.peasandcarrots.com.au/blog/
• Photography by Serendipity – Susan Kempken Heckel – http://serendipityphotostudio.com/blog/
• Pixien Photography – Monika Pixien – http://blog.pixien.com/
• Rebecca Dunstall – Rebecca Dunstall – www.rebeccadunstall.com
• Simply Heaven Photography – Kara Webber – http://simplyheavenphotography.com/blog
• Sugarlight Photography – Gunilla Lindgren – http://www.sugarlightphotography.com/blog.php
• Sugarpuff Photography – Lianne Bacorro – http://www.sugarpuffphoto.com/
• Tales of Light – Ricardo Silva – http://www.ricardosilvafotografia.com/blog-2/
• Three Winks – Jill Tomb – http://www.three-winks.com/blog/?page_id=366
• Tiffany Walensky Photography – Tiffany Walensky – http://newborns.tiffanywalensky.com
• White Salt Photography – Janine Harris – http://www.white-salt.com.au/blog/
• Wildflower Studio – Michelle Conner Dransart – http://www.wildflowerstudiophoto.com/blog/
• Will Chao Photography – Will Chao – http://willchaophotography.com
I have recently teamed up with the FABULOUS Christina Gore to help me style and design some sessions. One of those session ideas has been SO MUCH FUN that we've decided to create a whole day around it!! Announcing… GATSBY MINIS!!! Sunday, February 15th from 1:30 - 4:30. Message me quickly - these are going fast!!
I don't know about you but my sons both went through ginormous firefighter stages. We went to every fire station and toured them all. (Not that I minded of course… Strapping young men, uniforms, daring rescue adventures… Yes, please.) Anyway, I digress. If you, I mean YOUR SON likes firefighters too, you will appreciate this session. Absolutely adorable!!! Taken at the Jinky Art Retreat last fall.
A few months ago I had the extremely INSANELY AWESOME opportunity to study under the fabulously talented Barb Uil with Jinky Art. She is located out of Australia but comes to the U.S. every once in a while to teach some workshops. This has long been a dream of mine and OH MY HEAVENS PINCH ME it actually came true. I learned SO MUCH and it was amazing to be surrounded by so much creative talent for a solid weekend. I have gained some new friends too - That in itself has been invaluable. Now I feel like I have community that can encourage me and help me, and hopefully, I can do the same for them. If you are a photographer and you have the opportunity to go to a retreat, I say GO!!!!! I am already anxious to go on another one!!!
With the holiday rush behind me, I have finally been able to work on some of the images from the retreat. Here are just a few of my favorites.
So now obviously I am very anxious to find an "in" with someone who has lambs and/or sheep. IF YOU HAVE LAMBS AND/OR SHEEP PLEASE MESSAGE ME!!!!
Also, you may have noticed I have redirected my work to focus mainly on styled sessions. This includes everything from assisting you in wardrobe decisions to setting up an entire session designed specifically for you (like the "pillow fight" on the bed above).
That's all for now - Editing awaits!! Happy Saturday :)
Sometimes the smallest things take up the most room in our hearts. -Winnie the Pooh
Man that Winnie the Pooh is a genius.
Meet precious, perfect Emmanuel.
And a little treat for those of you who scrolled all the way down here (I love you).
Helloooooooo 2015!!!!! Who's ready for a brand new year?!?!! This year comes with all sorts of new exciting things for the biz! Are you ready??? HERE WE GO!!!!!
1) First off, I am going to redirect and start working more towards styled sessions. We'll visit before our session date and brainstorm together to come up with the perfect combination of clothes, location, and accessories. This will create a personalized experience that will offer unique, timeless portraits.
2) I am also working with a set stylist now who can help you with hair, light makeup (for girls up to 14 years old), and accessories. Christina is DIVINE!!
3) Many people have asked and now it's finally here - PACKAGES! I will now offer package deals (discounted from a la carte ordering). There are four packages and each creates a gallery wall custom designed for your space. What what?? Packages and gallery walls?? Yes please!
4) Portraits will also focus more on children. I am more than happy to take 1-2 family portraits during your session but my skill set lies more with children and I feel that I need to focus on that to do the best job for you.
5) And finally, I am also working with a Special Needs Coordinator. She came with me last year to help with a family that had yet to achieve the family photos they had dreamed of. Afterwards there were tears of joy. It was such a rewarding experience and one I had no idea there was such a market for. I am super pumped to announce that Suzanne will be joining the team!!!
Please remember that NOW is the time to book your Spring sessions. Weekends are almost booked already and spaces are limited.
If you've read this far - THANK YOU!!! Love you so much.
So… I have been chewing on this for a while. I've put off writing about it because… frankly… I'm scared. Digital images are such an important part of portraits these days and I get that, I really do. And yet… Just hear me out, friends.
About two years ago I stopped selling JUST THE CD. I required a minimum amount of print or product to be purchased before the entire CD could even be purchased. I wanted to be able to hand you, the client, something tangible, something beautiful, something to ooh and aah over, something you can touch and feel with your hands.
Here's what I have found.
95% of the time, the CD turns into basically the most expensive coaster you'll ever own.
The best thing clients use their CDs for are albums (love).
Then there are the "I need it for Facebook/ Instagram/ Twitter/ etc."
And every once in a while there are the late night phone calls from Wal Mart that make me cringe: "Um, they need a written consent to print these out." And I feel like screaming WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING AT WAL MART PRINTING OUT YOUR BEAUTIFUL IMAGES?!?!?!
Friends. These images - the ones we have spent countless hours creating together - these images are ART. These images are moments in time that than can never, ever be captured again. Do I want them to hold your coffee mug? Or ever grace the counters of Wal Mart? Do I think you should have to purchase a high resolution image simply to post it on social media? The answer is a big, huge, resounding NO.
So, in an effort to 1) meet client needs and 2) streamline business, I am changing things up a bit.
First, if you want to post any and all of our photos on social media or your personal blog, PLEASE DO IT!! Just ask me to create them for you with a small logo (somewhere non-obtrusive, I promise) and they will be yours for the posting. The majority of my marketing is done via social media so this is a total win/ win.
Secondly, if you purchase the rights to your digital images and you don't know where to get them printed, PLEASE ASK ME. I am beyond happy to help you with this. www.mpix.com is a great, fantastic, excellent place to start.
Thirdly - ALBUMS. Yes, please. I am all about a gorgeous album. Starting in January, 2015, all packages will come with a custom, displayable album. Because I truly believe everyone should have their favorite images in a place where they can see them all the time. But trust me: the CD is not that place.
I have also heard fear from clients. What if your house burns down? What if your hard drives crash? I want to have control of those images. I need a copy to keep safe myself. To you I say this:
I back up every single picture three times and one of those times is stored at an off-site location.
And I keep them FOREVER.
So fear not. If your house literally burns down (which has actually happened to a client), I can reprint any and all of your precious memories from yesterday or five years ago.
Now. A word about digital images. Can you still purchase them? YES. However, the price tag on them is going up. Because I truly, truly believe you don't need them. And this is the only way I know how to convince you of that.
Two of the three packages offered will include digital images. NOT ALL OF THEM, but some. Package B will include ONE image and Package C will include TEN images. Individual images are also available for purchase, but packages are sold at a discounted rate.
If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to working with all of you in the new year!
I have been photographing these beauties for five years now. I can not explain how much joy I get from watching my little clients grow, year after year. With these two, I've seen dance recital outfits, Spring and Fall, and braces come and go… One is almost taller than me (a feat I think most of my clients will achieve… eventually!) At any rate, feeling a little sentimental this morning as I put this post together. Here are the sweet, beautiful inside and out sisters Alison and Meredith.
Hats are so awesome. Nearly squealed when mom brought these out at the end of the session!
A side note - Sometimes a picture works well by itself, like below. And sometimes it works well in a "storyboard," which means it tells a story. Sometimes you can do either stand alone or a storyboard, like in this case. So of course I had to post both so you can decide for yourself.
I absolutely ADORE 6 month old pictures. You start to get a glimpse at their precious little personalities and the sweetness it just at peak perfection. Meet Brielle - Isn't she a DOLL??!?!?!
Of course, being a baby model is hard work. We must take ample time for snuggles, snacks, and some much needed rest.
See??? Sweetness perfection!!!!!
Melt. Me. Now. They just don't come any more gorgeous. Have SO enjoyed watching these two cuties grow up the last five years. Can not believe it's been two years since baby A was born. A photo from her six month old session is still one of my very faves ever of all time.
Sweet siblings!!! Love love love it when you can capture how much they really love each other! I have some of these with my own boys. They become SO important on those days that this is harder to remember ;) !!
Are. You. Even. Kidding. Me. The sweetest, most innocent expression and on such a gorgeous beauty of a girl. Personally, I love the nail polish too. So little girl, so innocent, so precious, so real!
The picture above feels very old school glamor to me. The colors. The droopy flower. The serious, unposed expression. I love all of it.
Devin is such a rock star big brother. First born, so easy going and truly wants to please. My favorite part though? His eyes. They just SPARKLE with mischief!!!
I LOVE color. I mean, I LOVE it. Let me explain further. I may have a sick obsession with it. I love bright, bold colors that just POP. But every once in a while…. I gotta go with black and white. #rockon
Know what I love??? TWINS!!!! Even more?? TWIN BOYS!!! This was my FOURTH YEAR to photograph these handsome boys and they just get more fun every single year!!!
I love taking pictures of these gorgeous boys. Their entire family looks like a J. Crew ad!! And sweet to boot.
You asked for them - They're HERE!!! Christmas minis!!! Location will include a country-Christmas setting with a simple tree and brown paper packages tied up with string.
And now, a word about unposed shots.
Love love love this gorgeous crew. And a family of all boys - Particularly close to my heart because that's how God made our family too!! Love this mama too - a creative GENIUS from Milk & Honey Tees. If you haven't checked out her awesome stuff, you should stop what you're doing and go there RIGHT. NOW. (Instagram Milk & Honey Tees.)
As a side note, I won't be posting a lot of family shots for a while because I don't want to ruin any Christmas card surprises!! So you're stuck with just these… Hope you enjoy anyway :) !!
Classic big brother. And he inherited his mom's GORGEOUS DIMPLES!!!! Oh. Em. Gee. And his eyes - Love. They just sparkle!!
Middle brother. Are you even kidding me. Fits the stereotype to a T. Totally adorbs. Want to squeeze him!!
Holy dimpled cuteness Batman. I have no words.
This is one of my absolute faves. Sure there were plenty where all three were looking at the camera and smiling. But this - THIS! This is perfection for me. The interaction, the joy, the love. Melt me.
These GORGEOUS sisters are always so much fun to photograph! They are beautiful inside and out!! And CHOCK FULL of personality. I especially love how different they are from each other, just like my boys!! We also captured Zaleigha's birthday pictures. She loves books so we incorporated that into the photos. Love love love that. She's going someplace special!!!
I can. not. believe. this sweet girl is SIX ALREADY!!! I have had the joy and privilege of taking her pictures for several years now, along with her two gorgeous brothers. I can't even tell you how much I love seeing my precious little clients grow. Emily is full of so much spunk and personality - She is always SO MUCH FUN to photograph. Here is a peek from her session.
It's that time of year - PSLs, crunchy autumn leaves, costume parties, and candy corn - It is finally, finally starting to feel like Fall here in the Rock…
I am already starting to think about Spring!!
I have about two weekday spots left for Fall pictures with very little wiggle room left for weather days. (Interesting side note - My prayer life seems to ramp up to full speed about this time of year.) I have a cancellation list if you would like me to put your name on that… Otherwise, please, please, please call now to reserve your SPRING spot - Especially if you need a weekend spot as those go the fastest.
You guys ROCK THE HOUSE. Love you to the moon and back!!!